[Image description: A woman is having a telehealth visit with her psychiatrist.]
If you’re planning to see a psychiatrist online, you might be wondering what types of medications they can prescribe. Whether you’ve previously seen a psychiatrist or this is your first visit, your psychiatrist will work with you to understand your needs and develop the right treatment plan, which may include medication.
While psychiatrists on LiveHealth Online can provide many prescriptions, they cannot prescribe controlled substances.
What are controlled substances?
These medications can be an effective treatment for conditions including anxiety, ADHD, chronic pain and insomnia, but they are tightly regulated by the federal government because of their potential for abuse.
Common controlled substances include:
- Benzodiazepines (Xanax®, Ativan®, Valium®, Klonopin, Restoril, Librium)
- Sedative hypnotics (Lunesta®, Ambien®, Sonata)
- Opioids (Methadose, Suboxone)
- Stimulants (Adderall®, Ritalin®, Vyvanse®, Dextroamphetamine, Dexedrine, Methylphenidate, Concerta®, Focalin, Provigil, Nuvigil)
If you’re currently taking prescription medication for a mental health condition, it’s a good idea to determine if it is a controlled substance before your telehealth appointment. You can view a comprehensive list here. You’ll need to see a doctor in person if:
- A psychiatrist on LiveHealth Online recommends you take a controlled substance as part of your treatment plan.
- You need a refill of an existing prescription that is a controlled substance.
Psychiatrists prescribe other medications online
Psychiatrists on LiveHealth Online can prescribe many other types of prescription medication to the pharmacy of your choice.
- Antidepressants (Prozac®, Celexa®, Cymbalta®, Wellbutrin®, Trazodone®, Effexor®, Tofranil, Seroxat, Anafranil, Doxepin, Favarin, Lustral®, Strattera®, Lexapro®)
- Antipsychotics (Azona®)
- Bipolar disorder agents (Lithium)
- Narcotics (Avanza)
- Opiate antagonists (Naloxone)
- Anticonvulsants (Lamictal)
After your initial evaluation, psychiatrists on LiveHealth Online can provide ongoing care and medication management for many mental health conditions, including:
- Bipolar disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
You can schedule follow-up appointments with the same psychiatrist for help with medication management from the comfort and privacy of home. If you need additional support, you can talk to a licensed therapist or psychologist through LiveHealth Online Psychology.