Are you looking for more natural ways to clean your home and limit your exposure to chemicals? Here are some healthy cleaning alternative ideas:
- All-purpose cleaner: Combine 3 parts water with 1 part vinegar. Add about 1 tablespoon lemon juice and several drops of an essential oil, like lemon or lavender.
- Glass cleaner: Combine equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Try cleaning windows when it is dark because the sun dries this cleaning fluid quickly and streaks are likely.
- Floor cleaner: Mop with a 50/50 mixture of water and white vinegar. Add a few drops of an essential oil to make it smell better.
- Oven cleaner: Make a paste out of baking soda and water. Apply the wet paste to the oven with a cloth towel then let it sit overnight (do not use the oven for this period of time). After about 12 hours, remove the hardened paste with a spatula. Spray vinegar on remaining residue and wipe until clean.
- Wood furniture cleaner: Mix about a half-cup of white vinegar with a gallon of water. Then test the mixture on a small, inconspicuous spot to be sure that it does not stain. Wet a cloth with the solution and rub on furniture, then buff with a dry cloth to remove excess moisture. Try polishing furniture a few times a year with a mixture that is equal parts olive oil and vinegar.